Tuesday, November 27, 2007

night driving almost makes global warming worth it

i can't help it. i love jumping in the car late at night, and blasting down the highway. the windows down. the stereo up. everything in the world matters less when it's late and i'm on the road.

for my senior prom i borrowed a friend's convertible – partially to impress my date, partially because convertibles are one of god's greatest creations. we went to the dance with the top up, because my date had spent so much time on her hair (angry). afterwards we changed clothes, and with my date's permission, i cranked the top down (the top i'm referring to being the car's top, not my date's top... my date's top got cranked down later, but that's a story for 'round the campfire).

so we tore off down the road, heading towards the beach. the road connecting the highway to the beach is a long and narrow two-lane road, with towering trees lining either side which create a sort of tunnel over the roadway. a small strip of stars was visible where the two sides of trees parted. we didn't talk on that drive; i think we were both too busy enjoying the scenery.

7 years later i still consider that to be my favorite night drives.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Night drives are great until you drive off the side of a mountainous road in Christiansburg, VA and obliterate one of your wheels.