Monday, December 24, 2007

i cried for you on the kitchen floor

old friend,

first, let me say that it hurts me deep how our long and glorious friendship had to end. we traveled thousands of miles together. saw sites that others only dream of. all the while, you carried me, even during those times when i didn't want to go any further.

who was there at mount rushmore when that mountain goat came ominously close to me while i tried to snap its picture? you were.

who stood toe-to-toe with me when i first laid eyes on the pacific ocean, that one amber summer? you.

who kept me safe while trekking through the costa rican jungle - safe from armadillos, monkeys, lizards, and poop? you, you fantastic bastard.

then... well, you left me.

i don't blame you. far from it, in fact. i'm not the easiest person to get along with. i'm demanding. i smell. my jokes are corny. and worst of all, i shuffle my feet.

my only hope is that you aren't bitter with how we parted ways. i wanted to honor you in a way only fitting of one of my best friends - by throwing you in a volcano, or setting you adrift in the warm waters off the coast of costa rica. i guess you'll have to settle for the trashcan of a tiny hotel room in playa del coco.

just know that i hold you in the highest regards, and that it will be a long while before i can bring myself to replace you.

with all my love and respect,
p.

r.i.p.

3 comments:

Tor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tor said...

tear.

(sorry on that last deleted comment. half the word verification code deal got attached to 'tear' and made it make no sense. my apologies.)

di said...

so that explains why you've been so sassy lately.

i'm sorry for your loss.

truly.